The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has recognized Glendora, Calif.-based CalPortland Co.’s long-term commitment to energy efficiency with a 2014 Energy Star Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award.
Key 2013 accomplishments for CalPortland, an Energy Star partner since 1996, include:
- Reducing energy intensity by nearly 2 percent compared to 2012 resulting in 0.13 trillion Btu in savings. This amounts to a reduction of 12,586 metric tons (t) of CO2. Cumulative reductions in energy intensity of nearly 14 percent since 2005 have saved over $52 million.
- Launching the president’s $1 Million Dollar Energy Savings Challenge company-wide. The initiative solicits energy savings ideas from employees and rewards the best energy ideas and implementation of projects at plants.
- Conducting an in-depth study of natural gas fuel use in on/off road vehicles to reduce greenhouse gas emissions; a pilot project is planned for an asphalt plant.
- Completing a large gas conditioning tower project at the Mojave Cement Plant reducing energy consumption by 15.7 million kWh per year and producing an annual savings of $1.25 million.
- Aggressively promoting Energy Star and energy management to the cement, ready mixed concrete and aggregates industries from direct company mentoring to executive participation in industry association events.
- Launching a major purchasing campaign to work with vendors to improve store room inventories with emphasis on energy-efficient spare parts.
- Engaging 17 sites in the Energy Star Challenge for Industry, including asphalt, aggregate, terminals and ready mix concrete.
“CalPortland is honored to receive this award for the 10th consecutive year,” said President/CEO Allen Hamblen. “We are committed to our partnership with Energy Star, and dedicated to improving energy efficiency throughout our business, which helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions and protect the environment.”
EPA Deputy Administrator Bob Perciasepe added, “CalPortland has earned EPA’s highest Energy Star award – the 2014 Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence Award – because of their unwavering commitment to helping consumers become increasingly more energy efficient.”
The 2014 Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence Awards are given to a variety of organizations to recognize their contributions in reducing greenhouse gas emissions through superior energy efficiency. These winners have reduced greenhouse gas emissions by setting and achieving aggressive goals, and employing innovative energy efficiency approaches. Award winners are selected from the 16,000 organizations that participate in the Energy Star program.